CATHLEEN'S BUMBLE BEE PIN CUSHION
Bee Body Fabric (Black): 21⁄2" x 21⁄2"
Bee Wings (Light yellow): 1" x 3"
Bee Stripes (Golden Yellow): 1" x 2"
Pin Cushion Top: 6" x 6" square (Flower or other bee
Pin Cushion Bottom: 6" x 6" square (fabric to coordinate)
Steam-a-Seam 3" x 5" piece (used for bee)
Tulle for Wings (optional): 1" x 3" piece
Fusible Batting: 6" x 6" piece
Pin cushion fill i.e. batting and/or 1 1⁄2 cups crushed
1. Cut 6" square from the top and bottom fabric. Using a pencil, draw a 51⁄2" circle (from the pattern) onto the back side of the top and bottom fabric. Cut, adding a 1⁄4” seam allowance to the circle (by eye - you will later stitch on the 5 1⁄2" circle line).
2. Draw a 51⁄2" circle on the fusible batting & cut out on the line (no seam allowance)
3. Fuse the batting to the wrong side of the pin cushion top.
4. Place Steam-a-Seam Lite over the reverse image pattern and trace the bee parts onto the grid lined paper side.
5. Place parchment paper over the bee design and build the bee design by removing the non-grid lined paper and placing the shapes onto the parchment paper. Start with the wings.
6. When the bee is assembled, press the bee onto the parchment paper to glue all the pieces together (make sure to protect the tulle with parchment if adding this).
7. Peel the bee off the parchment paper and place onto the pin cushion top fabric. Press to attach.
8. Next, add any embellishments to the pin cushion top using free motion quilting, hand stitching, beading, etc.
9. Place pin cushion top and bottom pieces, right sides together. Pin leaving a 2" opening to turn. Stitch along the 51⁄2" circle line, back stitch at the beginning and end leaving the opening to turn.
10. Turn pin cushion right side out and press making sure to press the seam allowance edges in which will help when hand stitching the pin cushion closed.
11. Stuff using batting or crushed walnut pieces.
12. Stitch the pin cushion closed. Enjoy!
Designed for your sewing pleasure by Cathleen Michka.